Our grammar school (Kantonsschule Wohlen) made a CO2 footprint of its activities per year which serves as base for upcoming measures to reduce our emissions and to fight climate change.
Our climate school project started with an information lesson with a climate expert.
He split the class into groups to specialize the themes.
One half analyzed the CO2 footprint of our school and the other half thought about improvements for the future in hope to make a change ; like Mahatma Gandhi said : “Be the change you want to see in the world.”
In some projections they calculated the carbon footprint of the Kanti Wohlen:
World wide emissions
To compare: the emissions per person in Switzerland is 7 t. The emissions worldwide are very different but in general too high. The global goal is to get to 1 – 2 t per year until 2050. That would bring to effect that the climate warming would not overrun 2°C (until 2100).
CO2 is a greenhouse gas and as more greenhouse gases we have as higher is the warming. That means that the polar ice cap would melt, the water level of the oceans would rise and islands would disappear, more deserts would be formed, more hurricans would destroy our world and a lot of animals and also humans would lose their environment. These are just the main outcomes, there are a lot more. Studies confirmed, that about 100 millions or “just” a couple of ten millions of human beings are in danger.
To implent this we planned some projects in order to presentate them to our director.
Some ideas are:
- Post-its on different places in the school-building with advices for an sustainable behavior (for example an advice on the soap: “Stop the water while using me”)
- only local and seasonal food
- a big garden on the school area with fruits and vegetables
- an aquaponic-construction on the school area to raise fish and vegetable
- one vegetarian day per week
- Parking taxes for students and teachers, the money could be used for the school events. Our caretaker could control the cars daily and distribute repentances.
- As example for charges we thought about 2.-/day or 100.-/year. The repentance would be around 20.-, in repetitions it will be higher charged.
- The heads of the school should only allow excursions, if they are reachable by public transports. Journeys with 8-10 hours or more distance are allowed by plane.
- The gym of the school should be equipped with current generators to produce electricity.
- one climate week per year
- paper boxes in all classrooms
- solar panels on the roof of the school building
We’ve also sold cake in public to collect money for climate education in Uganda. We know this is just a little step towards a better world and reduce the consequences, but at least we try to do something.